Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Kitchen: EASY Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

Since Dave was working through dinner last night, I went for a "not totally nutritious but easy and kids love it" kind of meal... Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole with some of my bread and some fruit. What I love about this recipe is that it only needs 3 ingredients:

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese Casserole
12 oz. elbow macaroni
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz. cheddar cheese (+ additional if you want for a cheesier topping)

You can also opt to include onions, pimento, or ritz cracker crumbles...

First, preheat your oven to 350 and boil the macaroni until almost soft (it will cook more in the oven). I used some of my homemade chicken stock to cook the pasta (I'll include a post about that later this week...) I also used Wacky Mac spirals because the girls enjoy the colors and that is what I had in the pantry.

Next drain and pour noodles into your baking pan. I split this normally 9x13in recipe into two smaller containers.

Then, add in the cream of chicken and cheddar cheese. Stir to mix well and put into your preheated oven (350 degrees) for 20 minutes. Then add additional cheese or ritz cracker crumbles and cook for 5 more minutes.


I decided to freeze the other 1/2 batch to pull out for to girls on a night when we have a babysitter. I like to go ahead and put the directions on the lid so that when I pull it out for a quick meal I don't have to hunt for the recipe to try to figure out the details for heating!



No comments:

Post a Comment